Can Cats Eat Ivy? (The Risks!)

No, cats shouldn’t eat ivy.

Ivy has been said to cause vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, and diarrhea when fed to pets, so it’s best that you do not feed your pet cat ivy.

Ivy is a plant that begins as a ground vine but can grow up to be a shrub or tree. It’s often found growing on the trunks and branches of trees.

The leaves are shiny and have pointed tips. The flowers, which appear in the spring, form clusters that contain small berries with seeds inside them. Ivy can be green, yellow, or red.

The entire plant is poisonous to pets, including cats.

When ingested, ivy can cause inflammation of the intestinal tract and stomach. This may result in vomiting and diarrhea. Ivy poisoning is not usually fatal but it’s important that your pet gets medical attention if you suspect he has eaten this plant.

If you are concerned that your cat may have eaten some ivy, take him to the veterinarian for treatment.

Ivy poisoning can be treated with supportive care. If diagnosed early enough, vomiting can be induced and fluids are given intravenously to prevent dehydration. If the cat has severe diarrhea, he will need to stay at the hospital where you can keep an eye on his hydration and provide food.