Can Dogs Eat Flavored Yogurt? (The Risks!)

No, dogs should not eat flavored yogurt.

Flavored yogurt usually contains xylitol which is toxic to dogs and may cause severe illness or even death in some cases.

If you want to feed your dog yogurt, make sure you only feed the plain all-natural honey without any added flavorings or sweeteners.

Can flavored yogurt kill dogs?

Dogs can eat plain yogurt.

In fact, it is a nutritious food for them as long as the flavorings or sweeteners are excluded and they only get plain unflavored yogurt in small amounts.

Xylitol is toxic to dogs and can cause severe illness if consumed in large amounts. If you want to feed your dog yogurt, make sure the yogurt you buy has only plain all-natural honey without any added flavorings or sweeteners.

That said if your dog does happen to eat some flavored yogurt, watch him closely for vomiting and diarrhea. If he becomes lethargic and weak, take him to a vet immediately since these can be symptoms of severe poisoning from xylitol.

What should I feed my dog instead?

Instead of feeding flavored yogurt to your dog, you should feed him plain all-natural yogurt.

Yes, the plain version is not as tasty but it is much healthier for him mainly because flavored (and sweetened) yogurt contains xylitol which in large amounts can be toxic to dogs. Plain unflavored yogurt or honey on the other hand is a healthy source of nutrients.

Bottom line: As with anything, moderation is key.

Summary

No, dogs should not eat flavored yogurt.

Flavored yogurt usually contains xylitol which is toxic to dogs and may cause severe illness or even death in some cases.

Instead of feeding your dog a plain unflavored type, you can feed him with the honey-only version that has no added flavorings or sweeteners for his health’s sake.

If he does happen to consume any amount of flavored yogurt containing xylitol, keep an eye out for vomiting and diarrhea as these are signs of poisoning from this ingredient.

That said, if your doggy friend eats too much non-flavored all-natural honey (which also happens), it could result in digestive upset so be mindful about how often you give them food like this!