Can Dogs Eat Honey Roasted Peanuts? (The Risks!)

No, dogs cannot eat honey-roasted peanuts.

Honey roasted peanuts contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs even in small quantities.

Honey roasted peanuts are dangerous for two reasons: the xylitol and the fat in the nuts. Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is used commercially as an artificial sweetener. It can also be made from birch wood or other sources of fiber, cane or corn starch, and corncobs.

As the name suggests, xylitol is a sugar alcohol that looks and tastes like sugar. Small dogs are particularly at risk from xylitol poisoning because they have lower body weight than larger dogs and metabolize food differently (eg, smaller dogs excrete more waste per kilogram of body weight).

Also, foods with high-fat content affect digestion, which can lower the amount of xylitol absorbed.

Uncooked honey roasted peanuts still contain some of their oil, which makes them slick and even easier to choke on. Also, because they’re so sweet, dogs may eat one or two before realizing how dangerous they are. Unfortunately, your dog has no way of communicating this to you.

Even if your dog doesn’t eat the whole bag, just a few honey-roasted peanuts can be poisonous. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include vomiting, lethargy, loss of coordination, increased thirst and urination — even death.

If you suspect your dog has eaten any honey roasted peanuts or any other food containing xylitol call your vet immediately.

In order to prevent this from happening, keep any food containing xylitol well out of your dog’s reach — even if he’s never eaten honey roasted peanuts before. If the temptation is too great for him to resist, then don’t allow him to roam freely around your house or garden where he might be tempted by snacks left lying around.

Will dry roasted peanuts hurt dogs?

Dry roasted peanuts are not harmful to dogs.

However, as with any food, check the label for additives that may be a concern.

Is it bad to eat honey roasted peanuts?

Honey roasted peanuts are not bad for dogs in very small quantities.

However, because pet owners have a hard time resisting their cute begging faces many give in and feed them snacks they shouldn’t. This results in unnecessary risk to their health.

What if my dog ate honey roasted peanuts?

If your dog has eaten any honey roasted peanuts or other foods containing xylitol he may be suffering from xylitol poisoning.

Make sure you check the ingredients of all food and treats to ensure they don’t contain any xylitol. Xylitol is often found as a sugar substitute, so always check the label carefully. If you suspect your dog has eaten food containing xylitol, call your vet immediately.

What can I feed my dog instead?

You can instead feed your dog some dry roasted peanuts. Make sure you check the ingredients to make sure it doesn’t contain any xylitol. If you suspect your dog ate food containing xylitol, call your vet immediately.

Summary

Dogs should never eat honey-roasted peanuts because the xylitol and fat content in these nuts can be toxic to them.

Xylitol is a sugar substitute that dogs are particularly at risk for, which makes it even more important to protect your furry friend from this dangerous snack food.

If you suspect your dog has eaten any honey roasted peanuts or other foods containing xylitol, call your vet immediately so they can administer treatment before symptoms set in!