Can Dogs Eat Marshmallow Fluff? (The Risks!)

No, dogs should not eat marshmallow fluff.

Though not all marshmallow fluff is toxic to dogs, all marshmallow fluff is unhealthy for dogs.

Also, marshmallow fluff contains xylitol most of the time, which is highly toxic to dogs so that’s another reason to not feed your dog marshmallow fluff.

It also contains sugar so your dog’s at risk of a peak in blood sugar levels, or diabetes if he continues eating marshmallows or marshmallow fluff long-term.

Can marshmallow fluff hurt dogs?

Yes, marshmallow fluff can hurt dogs and cause serious side effects or death.

Usually, the side effects of marshmallow fluff in dogs are vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, seizures, and/or lethargy.

If your dog is exhibiting any of these symptoms after eating marshmallows or marshmallow fluff then please seek the help of your veterinarian as soon as possible.

However, the risk of serious side effects or death increases if dogs eat a lot of marshmallow fluff.

As far as toxic doses of marshmallow fluff go, it’s hard to tell because different dogs will react differently based on their size and genetic makeup.

How do I know if my dog ate some marshmallow fluff?

If you think that your dog may have eaten some marshmallow fluff then the best thing would be to take him to the vet as soon as possible.

It’s also a good idea to check your dog’s vomit or poop (if you’re able) for signs of marshmallow fluff.

Marshmallow fluff can be recognized based on its fairly sticky texture and the bright white, yellow-white, or pink coloring it tends to have.

What should I do if my dog ate marshmallow fluff?

If you think that your dog has eaten some marshmallow fluff then take him to the vet as soon as possible.

However, if he starts vomiting or has diarrhea then I’d recommend doing that before heading off to the vet’s, but otherwise, just head straight there.

What are the symptoms of marshmallow fluff poisoning?

The symptoms of marshmallow fluff poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, seizures, and/or lethargy.

It also may cause irregular heart rates or heart arrhythmias in some dogs.

Also note that it can be hard to tell the difference between serious side effects and normal side effects because marshmallow fluff can make dogs have diarrhea or vomit, but it’s not a normal thing for dogs to do.

How long after consuming marshmallow fluff does the poisoning show?

The signs of marshmallow fluff poisoning usually show up within 1 hour of consumption but could take up to 12 hours to manifest.

If your dog ate some marshmallow fluff then definitely take him to the vet within 1-2 hours, just to be on the safe side.

What should I do if my dog ate marshmallow fluff?

If you know that your dog has eaten some marshmallow fluff or you suspect it then I’d recommend taking him to a veterinarian as soon as possible, but if he starts vomiting or has diarrhea then I’d recommend doing that first.

Summary

In conclusion, dogs should not eat marshmallow fluff. It contains sugar and xylitol which can cause serious side effects or death in dogs. These include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, seizures, and/or lethargy.

Dogs also may exhibit irregular heart rates or heart arrhythmias after consuming the product for a period of time. If your dog exhibits any symptoms from eating this toxic substance then it is advised to take him to the vet as soon as possible!