Can Dogs Eat Peppermint Candy? (The Risks!)

Yes, dogs can eat peppermint candy.

While peppermint candy isn’t toxic to dogs, it can, however, cause an upset stomach in dogs.

Also, avoid any peppermint candy or items containing xylitol or pennyroyal oil. Xylitol is a harmful artificial sweetener that can induce hypoglycemia, liver damage, and even death in dogs.

What happens if a dog eats a peppermint candy cane?

Peppermint candy is not toxic to dogs and, in small quantities, can be consumed without any harmful effects. Peppermint candy contains an active ingredient called menthol. This ingredient induces a pleasurable sensation for humans, but can cause serious irritation and even coughing fits if ingested by dogs.

In addition to potential digestive upset from ingesting peppermint candy, dogs can also become agitated or excitable due to the impact of menthol on their nasal cavity.

Will peppermint candy hurt puppies?

Yes. Peppermint candy contains the ingredient menthol, which can cause serious damage to a puppy’s nasal cavity and respiratory system. A given quantity of peppermint may induce more serious symptoms in puppies than it would adult dogs due to their smaller size.

Can dogs eat soft peppermint candy?

Yes. Some soft peppermint candy contains the artificial sweetener xylitol, which can cause dangerous effects in dogs if consumed. However, not all types of peppermint candy contain xylitol. Soft peppermint candy without xylitol should be safe to eat for dogs.


Try this healthy dog food this time you run out of food for your furry friend.